Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Motor Reversing

On 10/10/10 7:51 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Someone could make some money by developing an aftermarket saw brake,
under the
table.... pads or rollers or whatever, that would squeeze the blade.

I've always wondered if a set of good quality bicycle brakes couldn't be
safely mounted on the trunnion to perform that very task. Route the
cable to the front of the saw to a hand or foot operated lever and there
ya go.

Interesting. There is certainly a lot for force against a bike brake
than a coasting saw blade/motor. I think a simple spring and
electromagnet/solenoid would do the trick in the same way an electric
door bell works.
No electric current: spring holds brakes closed.
Electric current: solenoid pulls brakes open.
A manual cable or secondary electric source could be added for manual
brake release.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)