Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default Water pump motor for wind turbine project?

drugs began to take hold. I remember "AL_n"
saying something like:

I would have thought so too. However, for some reason, the folks I've heard
of who build small wind turbines, always seem to use motors. I've never
heard of anyone using car alternators. Perhaps there is a reason for that.

Alternators aren't much good at low speeds and low power. They really
come into their own when attached to an engine, however.
It's possible to bugger around and use PMs in an alternator casing,
replacing the field windings to really improve them, but it's a lot of
buggering around. For that much buggering around, you'd be as well to
copy one of Piggot's designs.