Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default first segmented turning

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 9:57:14 -0500, Jack Stein wrote
(in message ):

Nice Tom. I particularly like the effect of the opposing grain ribbon
through the middle. At first though, I thought the turning a little
thick-ish, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Thank you for looking at my work andd commenting. I do appreciate it very
much.

This particular shape is my favorite, I think. For my want of knowing what
may be a more widely known or accepted name for this form, I call it a tulip
shape. I have (or had) only a very limited amount of the black mangrove, and
wanted to maximize its visual mass in the turning. It is kind of
thick-waisted for this reason. Also, I knew it was going to be a smallish
vessel and so wanted to maximize its interior volume, being able to have
significant hollow space clear down to the foot. Below the upper lip, the
walls are about 5/16" thick. I wanted to make the walls thinner, but not
knowing how well the wood and the glue lines would hold up under the stresses
of turning, I decided to let well enough alone.

For background, I do have an older turning, a small bowl I made maybe 25
years ago from red elm and maple in two layers or laminations, that separated
at the glue line. The turning is somewhat thin by my standards, and for some
reason it separated for about 1/3 of the circumference. It was not completely
a failure of the glue itself, as there are some places along this line that
the failure was in the red elm.

I know that wood never really stops moving, even when apparently well dried -
until it is reduced to ashes. I admire the skill of a turner who can
consistently produce thin-walled vessels of uniform thickness (thin-ness?) My
own skills and experience dictate somewhat thicker walls.

tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.