Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default Motor Reversing

WW wrote the following:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Found this article...

"Single-phase induction motors drive many arbor-mounted cutting tools in
the home workshop. Stationary grinders, table and radial arm circular saws
frequently turn abrasive or cutting disks that are directly mounted on the
motor's spindle. These disks have large inertial moments that allow them
to free wheel for a long time after the power is turned off. A lengthy
coast to complete stop often amounts to a major inconvenience."

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/new...html#reversing

Great ... I may rig up my table saw this way. Would be safer with a brake.
WW

If I need to stop a spinning table saw blade in a hurry to change or
reset something, I find that a scrap piece of lumber makes a great blade
brake. Turn the saw off and slide the scrap up to the still spinning
blade. Blade stops in a couple of seconds. No extra parts needed.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY