Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Diamond Drill?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
Will wrote:
Anyone know why you can't buy diamond drills - I have a diamond saw but
the hardest drill I have is HSS Cobolt?

Because diamonds "grind" rather than "chisel".

For drilling stone, there would be no advantage to making a diamond drill
over a TCT drill and it would be a lot more expensive.

You can buy diamond core drills, which, as Dave says, grind their way
through. Beneficial for large holes in stone but that's about all.

Good point, well made. Although, just to be clear, I was rather thinking
of a solid drill rather than a core drill (which I was think of as a
saw, rather than a drill). :-)