Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default suggested chipper for home use

" wrote:
-snip-

Well a few years ago I bought a big sears chipper for around 700 bucks
and severly trimmed 8 large trees. Spent the summer trimming and
chipping. Wore out the blades in the branch chipper part. Sears was
unable to get me replacement parts so the ultimately gave me a brand
new chipper for free. my returned one went to the crusher. sad it was
only a few months old.

Now I wanted a chipper my entire life but am going to sell
mine........

I had one for a season- many years ago. PITA. Now I compost
leaves and anything up to about pencil size. Most of it breaks down
in a year here in NY. The bigger-than-a-pencil stuff gets chopped
with an axe to be tossed into the firepit when we want to play with
fire.

I have a sharp axe and a 30" high chopping block. I reduce a pretty
hefty brushpile to 20gallons or so of sticks in a couple hours. A lot
less sweat than fighting with a clogging, screaming, dangerous
chipper--- and I can still listen to my MP3 player while I work.

Jim