Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default EMI Filtering

Jamie wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I have a troublesome paper shredder that periodically causes my cable
modem to lose its mind, and require a reboot.

Due to physical locations of outlets and cabinet spacing, I have no
choice but to use the same power strip for both shredder and modem.

I suspect conducted but I suppose it could be radiated.

Any ideas short of moving the shredder to another room ?:-)

Get a 1:1 isolation xformer for the shredder..
It's most likely the universal motor being used and the
brushes arch in those.

Arch? You're as stupid as dimbulb. Maybe even a notch lower.

An EMI filter pulled from a junk PC power supply and installed at the
motor would do more good, since the RFI is radiated by the wiring inside
the shreader

enough left over to pay them.