Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CitiBank, Home Depot doesn't like gun makers

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:28:33 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 10/8/2010 7:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:31:16 -0400,
wrote:

On 10/8/2010 5:25 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 10/08/10 02:34 pm, DGDevin wrote:

It was Citi Bank - who handles the private label credit cards for
Home Depot - that didn't like guns.

Like it or not, this is how capitalism works. It's THEIR money,
City is free to use it the way they see fit.

Yup.

And if a million American gun owners write Citi Bank saying they are
closing their accounts because of this, Citi Bank will reevaluate
their policy.

So I'd better get my family members and as many friends as possible to
write CitiBank and commend them for their policy.

Absolutely. Be sure to explain why you think their policy is a good one.
Note that the article says Citi's policy is not to support any entity that
is a purveyor to the U.S. military.

I take this as an extension of the more basic underpinning that Citi wants
our warrior class to die.

Well, that is a good indication that the article is BS. I just looked in
my wallet, and the US Govt credit card (the travel version) in there
says 'CITI' on the back. At least half of those cards are held by people
that get a paycheck from DoD. So CITI themselves makes a good chunk of
change off the military.

Government employees should not be issued a US Govt credit card. I've
seen/heard abuses of them.

A guy gets cash from the machine in Boulder, while at a titty bar.
Another buys four tires and has fresh tires on his car. It alls comes
out in the latter audits.

I went to settle a Travel Voucher, with the Cashier one day. She
starting telling me I "have to have a government" credit card --
DOJ/FBOP.

Me: "No I don't."

She: "Yes you do!"

Me: "How can you make me use it? I'm not management!"

Got my cash from the window and walked away.

She wanted to say that because I traveled twice a year, a credit card
was mandatory. Wrong -- on both her counts.

At my agency, the cutoff was 3x per year, which I used to just barely
meet. I haven't traveled for work in over 2 years, but they didn't take
it back. I suppose I would have to call an 800 number, or one of our
bean counters would, if they ever do send me on the road again.

As part of the now-mandatory annual training to have one, they do
emphasize that using it at titty bars and for personal expenses, can
easily become a firing offense. Hell, using a motor pool car more than
100 yards off the route between hotel and work location can get you 30
days off. That is why everyone refuses them now.

I always made money on road trips. I don't go to fancy restaurants every
night at home- why should I when traveling? I always tried for a hotel
with a kitchenette, and/or breakfast bar. I also never used the gummint
card for anything but rental car and hotel. Possible BS paperwork for
excessive cash advances and retail purchases was simply not worth the
risk. I didn't get an 'official' card till they made it mandatory. IMHO,
'official' cards should not have our names on them, or be billed to our
home addresses. Hand it out with the orders, collect on return, and put
it at the bottom of the pile in the safe. Don't hand it out again till
the voucher is settled.

I miss the old days when I would just go down to the cashier and get a
fistful of $100 bills, and then go down to the actual travel office and
pick up an actual printed-on-cardboard airline ticket. We don't even
HAVE a cash office any more, and I have to use those damn e-tickets.

When I spend money on a business trip I pay out of my pocket and they may
decide to pay it back in a few weeks, with a damned check. So far it's only
been small change, but it's still a PITA. My PPoE had credit cards for
frequent travelers. Somehow I still have a $800 credit on the stupid thing (I
retired from that job four years ago). It's not my money so it just sits
there.