Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Dewalt 18 volt cell replacement

On 10/7/2010 6:19 PM,
wrote:
On Sep 30, 6:25 am, wrote:
We run a lot of DeWalt battery equipment - over 60 units. We
tried several rebuild outfits. We have quit and now buy new
replacement DeWalt batteries. The rebuilds just don't seem to
last and the cost is not enough better than buying new. These are
used heavily.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Art wrote in message

Anyone know of a good company that replaces cells in power tool
batteries. I have 2 18 volt dewalt XR2 batteries that need
replacing or re-celling. They have lasted many years and 1
actually still works pretty good, but I think it's time.
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I looked into this recently for an old Milwaukee battery pack I
needed. It cost almost as much to have it rebuilt as you can buy a
new pack for on Ebay. I decided to rebuild it myself and bought the
batteries on Ebay for less than 1/2 of what rebuilding would have
cost. It was a bit tricky because there isn't much spare room and
everything has to fit back in precisely. I just made it by leaving
out one shim piece.

Thanks for all the responses. I too
found that you could get brand new 2010
date code batteries on ebay for about
the same cost of having them rebuilt. I
have rebuilt battery packs in the past,
but you really should have a small spot
welder to connect the cells together.
Soldering does work but can damage the
cells. When my 2 new batteries arrive,
I will try to rebuild one of my old ones
just to compare the results.