Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Canon SD1000 Display and Image Issues

On 08/10/2010 20:26, infiniteMPG wrote:
Received a Canon SD1000 from a relative who had not used it for a long
time but said it wouldn't work right, they thought I might get some
use out of it. The body of the camera is in mint condition, I was
amazed as it looks like it's never been used. The camera functions
fine as far as power on and off, lens extend and retract, and shutter
button snapping pictures, but the rear display is solid gray with some
barely visible horizontal lines. No menu items or text, just blank
display.

When I take pictures (guessing as I have a blank screen) and download
the files from the SD card to my PC, the are valid JPEG files but are
just colorful vertical lines with a few horizontal lines like this
example :

http://www.57web.com/IMG_0002.JPG

Would like to recover this camera as it's a nice unit and looks new.
Been in touch with Canon and they are offering a Customer Appreciation
program to trade it in and buy a factory refurbished unit, but I kind
of like this one if I can salvage it.

Not sure if it could be something like a loose connection in the
camera or maybe something like that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

First thing I would do is copy a known good *.jpg file to the SD card
and rename it to a correct Canon file name (IMG_0002.JPG maybe?). Then
put that card back in the camera and see if you can view it. If not,
then my guess is that it's the camera's CPU which has gone south.

If you (a) can't get a sensible picture you've taken with the camera out
from the SD card, and (b) can't view a known good jpg you've placed on
the card, it doesn't look good. Even if you do get a picture of the good
jpg on the LCD screen, it still means you have a major problem.

--

Jeff