Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default Canon SD1000 Display and Image Issues

On Oct 8, 12:26*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
Received a Canon SD1000 from a relative who had not used it for a long
time but said it wouldn't work right, they thought I might get some
use out of it. *The body of the camera is in mint condition, I was
amazed as it looks like it's never been used. *The camera functions
fine as far as power on and off, lens extend and retract, and shutter
button snapping pictures, but the rear display is solid gray with some
barely visible horizontal lines. *No menu items or text, just blank
display.

When I take pictures (guessing as I have a blank screen) and download
the files from the SD card to my PC, the are valid JPEG files but are
just colorful vertical lines with a few horizontal lines like this
example :

http://www.57web.com/IMG_0002.JPG

Would like to recover this camera as it's a nice unit and looks new.
Been in touch with Canon and they are offering a Customer Appreciation
program to trade it in and buy a factory refurbished unit, but I kind
of like this one if I can salvage it.

Not sure if it could be something like a loose connection in the
camera or maybe something like that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

From what you have found with this camera there are two distinct
problems apparent: the sensor to jpeg output system is malfunctioning
and the rear LCD display is malfunctioning [no data screens are
displayed]. These could be caused by a defective sensor system and a
defective LCD driver system or some common defect in the processor
board.
I have delved into two digital cameras and I found that they are
highly modular, but, other than interconnect ribbons, the modules are
not repairable. Unfortunately, the interconnecting is mostly by very
fine pitch 'flex' circuits with very fragile terminations at the
module connections.
If you are not really concerned with fixing it, you could certainly
try and open it up and examine it for any obvious failures but be
warned, they are very easily mechanically damaged beyond repair with
one mis-step during disassembly and examination.

Neil S.