Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Repeatability of Mill Vise & Stop?

On Oct 9, 7:36*am, Doug White wrote:
I am milling a part I want to fit reasonably closely to something (close
slip fit, ideally). *Something like -0.000"/+0.001". *I have it clamped in
my mill vise, and I have a stop set to locate one end. *I'm milling out a
small pocket, and the best I can do for measuring the width & length is a
digital caliper. *The thing it fits on is too big to try in place.

Thus far, I haven't taken it out of the mill. *I few more passes, and it
should be done. *My question is whether I have a prayer of taking it out &
returning it with adequate precision if it ends up a bit tight? *I was
figuring that if it doesn't quite fit, I could count on it not locating
exactly the same. *That way another pass with the same settings should open
it up a hair.

My experience says that I should (barring chips getting in the way) be able
to relocate the part within 0.001", but I'm not sure how much better than
that I can count on. *Depth isn't as critical, so a little "vice lift"
won't kill me.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Doug White

If you are only making one part and it turns out too tight, then get
out your files and make it fit. If you are making many of the item,
you might invest in DRO for your mill.

Paul