Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Canon SD1000 Display and Image Issues

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:26:46 -0700, infiniteMPG wrote:

Received a Canon SD1000 from a relative who had not used it for a long
time but said it wouldn't work right, they thought I might get some use
out of it. The body of the camera is in mint condition, I was amazed as
it looks like it's never been used. The camera functions fine as far as
power on and off, lens extend and retract, and shutter button snapping
pictures, but the rear display is solid gray with some barely visible
horizontal lines. No menu items or text, just blank display.

When I take pictures (guessing as I have a blank screen) and download
the files from the SD card to my PC, the are valid JPEG files but are
just colorful vertical lines with a few horizontal lines like this
example :

http://www.57web.com/IMG_0002.JPG

Would like to recover this camera as it's a nice unit and looks new.
Been in touch with Canon and they are offering a Customer Appreciation
program to trade it in and buy a factory refurbished unit, but I kind of
like this one if I can salvage it.

Not sure if it could be something like a loose connection in the camera
or maybe something like that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Looks like the display is damaged. Take advantage of their trade in
offer.