Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default Cleaning Wood Kitchen Cabinet Doors

On Oct 8, 6:37*pm, Evan wrote:
On Oct 7, 11:56*pm, RosemontCrest wrote:

I own a rental property that has stained wood kitchen cabinet doors
without knobs; they have coved recesses on the edges to serve as
finger-pulls. After years of use, grime and oils from hands is
showing. I'm not sure what type of wood it is and the finish appears
to be okay. I want to clean these doors as well as possible without
the need to refinish. I have considered that after I clean them, I
might find damage to the finish, but for now, all I want to do is
clean them.

Years ago, I used with reasonable success Formby'sŪ Deep Cleansing
Build-Up Remover (http://www.formbys.com/products/
buildup_remover.cfm), or whatever it was called at that time.

Is there a better product available today?

Thanks,
Brian

Murphy's Oil Soap made in a solution of warm water and an old
terrycloth towel or facecloth will clean all of the grim off your
dirty kitchen cabinets without damaging the finish...

Using something else like thinner, etc. or a harsh chemical
cleaner could soften the finish and you would be rubbing the
dirty INTO the finish as you try to clean it...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

I've cleaned cabinets with TSP (Trisodium phospate (sp)). It's a deep
degreaser. You just need to change the water frequently if the
cabinets are really dirty. I think I bought it at Ace Hardware.

Rob