Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Ductility of T-6 Aluminum

On Oct 8, 12:47*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Yes, there's a lot of different alloys that can be tempered to T6 -- so
feel free to educate me.

Is it at all a sensible thing to think that I could get some 40 - 60 mil
aluminum sheet that's already tempered to somewhere between T3 and T6
(harder is better), and be able to put 45 degree bends in it? *60
degree? *90? *Bend radius? *Is this something that could be done on a
normal brake? *Clearly springback would be an issue, but is it just a
pain, or a real @#$% pain?
Tim Wescott

Usually 1/16"6061-T6 was the only material available when I fabricated
electronics enclosures. It cracks somewhat if bent sharp so I padded
the brake with another prebent strip.

0.050" material is considerably easier to work on a 3-in-1 combo
machine.

The fuselage of a B-17 was made from 0.040" - 0.063" sheet. It should
be good enough for a model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuselage
The stringers are bulb angle instead of hat sections . I measured only
worn exposed edges so not to scratch the paint.

jsw