Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adjusting Pumptrol pressure switch Range

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

My guess is to cut some off the length of the Range spring or try for
a lighter spring.

Anyone ever played with this stuff? Suggestions?

I have three Square-D Pumptrol switches on my property, and one at work.
All of them have TWO adjustment screws. One adjusts both the cut-in and
cut-out pressures simultaneously, the other adjusts either the cut-in or
the cut-out (can't remember) only. They're interactive, of course, so it
takes a few tries to get both the desired cut-out pressure AND the range
adjusted to your liking.

The newer ones with the side cutoff lever (like an air compressor switch)
also have a nifty feature where if the pressure drops significantly BELOW
the cut-in pressure, the switch will shut off, and has to be manually
reset. That's nice, because a loss-of-prime or burst feed pipe won't
burn out your pump.

Don't make the range too small, or you'll exceed the starting duty of the
motor. Most pump motors can run continuously (with water), but don't
like to be started more often than once every couple of minutes. The
good ones don't care... like a "true" US-made Goulds. But the offshore
pumps are really crap. You can expect three or four years out of one of
the Chinese-made Lowes or Home Depot Sta-Rite types, where a top-of-the-
line US-made Goulds or Sta-Rite might last twenty.

LLoyd