Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT appliance help OT

The homeowner should be shopping for a new service panel, even before a new
dryer.
Around here (western PA), banks won't finance, and I don't think insurers
will cover a structure with a fused service panel.

Motors can develop insulation current leakage which a DMM resistance test
will not indicate. A motor with suspected leakage needs to be checked at
operating voltage (or better yet, Hi-pot tested with a Megger-type tester).
Contamination inside the motor can cause leakage paths.

It's likely that something else may be involved in the overall scenario. As
you suggested, a 120V motor probably wouldn't take out both fuses.

Fuse box hardware generally always loosens with age. Vibration (even though
it's not felt continuously) and thermal cycling will lead to loose
fasteners.. especially when many fused panels are over 40 years old.
Loose fasteners anywhere in a circuit will increase the resistance in
circuits, and usually break down from excess heat.

A qualified, experienced and knowledgeable electrician should replace the
service panel.. if a homeowner fits that description, that person could
probably perform the installation in a couple of hours.

--
WB

"Snag" wrote in message
Maytag dryer , blows BOTH fuses as soon as you push the go button .
Already checked the element , not grounded or shorted . Motor windings
likewise . Checked all wiring for worn or frayed spots , none . One of
those intellidry models with infinite temp control .
Guy at the appliance repair/parts store I buy at sez "I dunno" .
At this stage "I dunno" is all I know too ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps