Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default OT appliance help OT

Winston wrote:
Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:10:37 -0500
"Snag" wrote:

Maytag dryer , blows BOTH fuses as soon as you push the go button .
Already checked the element , not grounded or shorted . Motor
windings likewise . Checked all wiring for worn or frayed spots ,
none . One of those intellidry models with infinite temp control .
Guy at the appliance repair/parts store I buy at sez "I dunno" .
At this stage "I dunno" is all I know too ...

WAG they usually put some sort of over temperature protector near the
heating elements, in-line with their power connection. May look
similar to a resister and be clamped down, senses the heat where it
is clamped. Normally they open up (too hot, plugged/restricted
exhaust, lint build-up), but maybe it has shifted or shorted to the
clamp area.

Shorted 'start' winding on drive motor?

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...agdryernew.jpg
http://www.repairclinic.com/Maytag-D...tor-Parts?z=50

Older generation schematic is *much* easier to read:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...agdryerold.jpg

There are many drive motors to choose from and Maytag is *very proud*
of all of them.

(I'm dubious about the fuse or thermostat as a possibility.
Sorry Leon.):
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...hermostat/2651

Fuse and Thermostat 6th item down:
http://www.repairclinic.com/Maytag-Dryer-Parts

--Winston

The wiring/schematics sheet is still with the dryer and it's not that
complicated . Sorry Leon , your solution doesn't fit the symptoms .
Somethin'g shorting both legs to ground at startup , and I can't figger out
what it is .
The motor starts to turn , the fuses blow . He's only got 30A fuses on
this thing , but until recently it's run just fine . I haven't yet found the
spec'd fuse rating , but I'm starting to think that 30's were marginal , and
as the dryer has aged and parts worn , the marginal fuse ain't cuttin' it
anymore . Seems to me that most dryers are set up with a 50 amp breaker ...
and yet , the motor was the only load , I had it on "fluff" with the heater
shut off . Might be the infinite heat control ... I think he's just going to
go get a new unit , this one came with the house and we know nothing of it's
history . We could easily approach the price of a new one throwing parts at
this one .

--
Snag
Learning keeps