Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_3_] Robatoy[_3_] is offline

Default Nitro (lacquer) over MinWax Polyshades?

These Minwax people... I tell ya, the colour I wanted is all there, but
the sheen and basic levelness of the finish sucks.
What I have is 2 coats of MinWax Polyshade on cherry. Absolutely love
the colour as my test-piece indicated I would.
But I'm spoiled. I like my finished looking like a french rub. 33%
sheen, level, deep, clear and rich.
I know how to do that with NGR and sanding-sealer and lacquer (cat), but
got lured into this Polyshade quagmire.
The stuff just won't lie down with an even sheen. Yup tried almost
everything on my test pieces including Penetrol.
I have always been really proud of my finishes, now it is my turn in one
of the bathrooms, and I stray. Woe is me. No cigar or biscuit. Bad dog.

Soooo.... anybody ever try to blow catlacquer on polyshades? Am I
cruising for the Sharpei look? All wrinkly?

I guess acrylic water bases lacquer is an option, I'm reasonably deft
with that stuff. Did I just say deft? Deft? Will that work?