Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Adjusted the fence last night...

"eclipsme" wrote in message
On 10/4/2010 9:03 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 10/3/2010 8:02 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Snip

I say this all to point out that, IMHO, the fence should not be
absolutely
parallel to the slot/blade, but should veer away from the blade by a few
thousandths of an inch so as to relieve the possible binding described
above.

Can't agree with that statement, while to some the thought of the fence
veering away from the blade to create "some" clearance between the
fence,work, and blade this pulls danger out of the right pocket and puts
it
in the left pocket.

The work tracking away from the right back side of the blade also causes
the
wood to track into the blade on the opposite side.

Use a splitter to and a parallel fence for best and safest results.

You are undoubtedly correct about using the splitter but I admit to not
using one because of the PITA quotient. I use hold downs and skew the
fence very slightly away from the blade as discussed. I never use the
fence on the opposite side, so that really doesn't matter for me.

Harvey

Although you do not use the fence on the opposite side often let me restate,
If your fence is skewed away from the blade and you are ripping a 1x6 into
say 2 or more usable pieces the waste side will be pulled into the blade on
the back opposite side of the blade. This will both add tooth marks to the
wast eside of the board and will prevent the whole board from tracking
properly against the fence.