Silvan

Default What can you with a lathe?

Victor Radin wrote:

Don't do it. Listen to your wife. Woodturning is an insidious hobby, no,
strike that last- it's not a hobby, it's an addiction. Sure- you'll

It definitely is for sure. I haven't made any real stuff in my shop since
Christmas. The list of things I really need and can't afford is endless.

The biggest thing about a lathe is the realization that lumber just isn't
good turning stock. Especially not for newbies where one project in 30 is
worth keeping out of the trash can. (My ratio has gone way up since I
started turning mushrooms though. All of those have been keepers, except
he one that came apart. Plus I can turn them on the round, which saves a
lot of labor.)

You have to buy really thick, expensive lumber, or else spend a lot of time
doing careful glue-ups. Or else use firewood.

Firewood is all but demanded, and working it into turning blanks without the
proper tools is a tedious thing. I have an axe, a maul and a couple of bow
saws. Making bowl blanks SUCKS. Especially when they come apart after all
that freaking labor.

I need a chainsaw and a bandsaw bigtime. And a Jacobs chuck, and a four-jaw
chuck of some sort, and a screw chuck, and some different drives and
different centers, and better turning tools, and more turning tools, and
more wood, always more wood...

More more more more more!

It's the most expensive $200 I ever spent. Too bad I'm broke. I'm limited
so far to turning the pile of maple my neighbor cut out of her tree. So
far. I already know where the woodpile is going to go though.

vic
who manages to avoid the addiction of new tools by being broke.

You can say that again.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/