Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Harbor Freight Reviews

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:00:01 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

http://hfreviews.com/reviews.php
If you have used a Harbor Freight item or considering buying one.
Write a reveiew, or read what others say. Might help others, or save
yourself some grief. I'm not the webmaster, and I didn't come up with
the idea.

It's good to write a review after using a product. I look at reviews
before I buy most stuff.
But you have to use some discrimination.
Toss out the,

"I just opened the box. It's beautiful. Color perfecty compliments
my other appliances. 5 Stars!"

"Man, this is one good drill. Used it for 2 weeks now and already
drilled 17 1/4" holes through the 2x4's for my new rabbit cages.
Definitely 5 Stars!"

"This buffer is junk. I used my last Acme buffer to sand 3 vanities
and a wardrobe. I can't even glue the sandpaper to this one.
It just won't stick to the pad they use. 0 Stars!"

You get the picture.
Besides, I got a couple of feelings about the reviews.
People are more likely to squawk than praise.
So the "rating" can be deceptive.
You get a hundred reviews with half complaining.
But maybe they sold 1000. That probably means the product is better
than the reviews indicate.
Then you got your $300 toaster.
The people that pay $300 for a f**king toaster are probably too stupid
to know what's making their bagels all black and real crunchy, but
can still manage to type out "5 Stars!"
Of course some have moments of sanity, and write a review saying
"I can't believe I paid $300 for this f**king toaster."
But most paying big bucks for junk will stand by their junk.

Having said all that, I bought a washing machine with pretty bad
reviews. But the reviews compelled me to pay almost 200 bucks for an
"instant replacement" warranty.
I hardly ever buy that kind of warranty.
Why did I buy that washer?
It's the one my wife wanted.
I figured 200 bucks was worth keeping her quiet.
It almost worked.
You are always rolling the dice.

--Vic