Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default The Holy Grail

On 6 Oct,
geraldthehamster wrote:

On 6 Oct, 00:21, wrote:

Flat panel insulation needs a big hole in the floor to fit if there is no
depth, particularly if thick. Flexible insulation is generally an
irritant, I don't like getting too close.

I'm toying with pulling through spaceblanket (mineral wool (or is it
recycled bottles) wrapped in a plastic film, much less irritating than
bare stuff.--

PROGRESS! There's a solution here, it just needs a bit of fine tuning.

To lay the access thing to bed - I haven't measured the depth of my
void (so to speak), but it's no more than 18 inches. Joists are 4x2 at
16 in. centres. Every couple of feet or so is a block dwarf wall which
supports the joists, and therefore runs parallel to the boards. You'd
have to do so much taking up to get in there, that you might as well
take up the whole floor. There is negligible height to work in, and I
don't do confined spaces.

Now then - yes, you could pull through spaceblanket, and you'd only
need to take up maybe four boards across the room. I like this.
However - without taking up numerous boards, how are you going to
eliminate sagging, and ensure that it's tight up between the joists?

In my own case, I would also need to feed each run of space blanket
through the four-inch gaps where the joists sit on the dwarf walls.
This might be doable with stick and bits of wire, but again, needs a
bit of finesse.

I had thought of using tile lath to lay over te dwarf walls to support the
spaceblanket

I can't help thinking that a very small child is part of the solution.

I have used that method in the past.

I never thought to fabricate any.

Mine are now much larger than me.

--