Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default A flaky branch circuit

I went out to my screened- in porch to have lunch. This is in sw fl and we
finally got some really decent weather.

The problem: First problem was the ceiling fan w/remote wouldn't come on.
Another fan plugged into a wall socket was also dead.
There is one GFI that feeds one outside outlet and one inside and that
ceiling fan.

I plugged a 3-light tester into the GFI. the lights report an open neutral.
With the downstream hot line off the GFI the tester reports all good.

I removed anything in the downstream outlets and the GFI say OK.
If I take a little neon bug light and go from hot in to neut or ground get
good light in both tests.
Put the downstream line back on and the bug light does some thing strange.
If I go from incoming H to N it is bright. From downstream hot to neutral
the bug light is dim and the 3 light tester shows a dim light that was not
lit before.

The only things connected are the two downstream receptacles and the ceiling
fan.

Is this situation pointing to the GFI? I thought it only disconnected the
hot side. My other choice is to go after the remote in the ceiling fan but
that is a pita compared to swapping out the GFI. No spares on hand so it
means a trip to the store.

What do you say?

Charlie