Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Suspension Experts ??

On 10/05/2010 03:22 PM, Snag wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On 10/03/2010 06:06 AM, Snag wrote:
I seem to recall someone (or more than one ...) here is/was
involved in building tube frames for race cars . I'm debating
building a trike rear end to put on an older Honda CB750 , and need
a bit of guidance ... my wife wants to ride but doesn't like to lean
. Looks like the best-handling option is going to be unequal
length A-frames with CV jointed half shafts and dual inboard disc
brakes . I'm undecided about springing options , whether coil-over
shocks , maybe a single transverse leaf . Either option will require
a torsion bar to control body roll . Going to have to have an
enclosed spider differential setup , with a sprocket mounted for
chain drive - maybe from an ATV ? Front suspension hubs from a FWD
car look like the cheapest option ... And it all needs to fit
into a 14 x 14 x 27 inch package , plus the width of the A-frames ,
and the mounting points extending to the front to bolt it to the M/C
frame . I'm considering using 1" sq tube and 1x2" tube for the frame
members . I'd like to use the original swingarm and shock absorber
mount points , since they're designed to support the loads ... and I
haven'rt even begun to consider body work to cover it all .

I think you need to check out this page:

http://reversetrike.com/home.html

--

Tim Wescott

There's a new subfolder in my favorites folger , and it's called trike links
. That one's in there ... alone so far , but I hope to change that !

What I was really looking for was a site for a shop in Washington that
custom builds Morgan-inspired, Harley-powered trikes. They cost over
$40000 new, IIRC, and they are absolutely gorgeous. I was going to say
"don't show her this link!!!".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services