Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Aldi torque wrench - likely to be any good?

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"Spamlet" wrote in message

I always used to keep a metre odd of steel pipe in the boot to fit
over my socket set wrench, for just that reason. I often had to
stand on it - pushing downward so as not to lift the car off the
ground - in changing wheels that had been last put on by the tyre
changing lads.

The tyre place I use always uses a torque wrench and they adjust it
to match the car.
On a car I borrowed once I had to put the jack under the wheel wrench
to undo a nut, saves having to carry a long bar.

I remember watching a tyre place put two new tyres on my car, refit the
nuts with the air wrench and then "test" the nuts with a torque wrench. I
made them slacken the nuts off and do the job properly.

These guys back off with the torque wrench and then tighten it.
The do use the air wrench to put them on but it doesn't do them up tight,
they are usually adjustable to stop them over tightening.