Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT (kinda) - Hardi Panel Siding w/o sheeting

In article 858a6e31-4747-4f8d-af23-6c33c5c54219
@x7g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

Thanks for good comments so far.

I didn't mention our location and that is a factor. We are in the SE
corner of Kansas, very close to the Ozarks. High humidity is a
concern. Termites too, but will treat for them.

I built a slightly smaller shed 20-25 years ago, using Masonite,
vertical-look sheeting; and was concerned about interior impacts.
That material is probably much less impact resistant than Smart
panels. I installed a 2X4 "bumper strip" around the interior at about
tractor, wheelbarrow, tiller height. Some of the rest was protected
by shelving. Will do the same here.

I took a look at a demo video on LP's web site last night that kinda
got my attention regarding impact resistance of Smart panels vs
concrete fiber:

http://www.youtube.com/LPBuildingPro...11/ta8Ymn_sExk

Kinda helped me decide about un-backed cement board. Some of LP's
other info and videos have me leaning toward Smart Panel. The
treatments they used during manufacture do provide a good deal of
termite and rot resistance. However, it is clear they are concerned
with moisture intrusion beyond the outer facing. T-11 is also a good
product but in the rural area where we are located, I might have to
drive more than 100 miles to get pressure treated material; and then I
am still looking at a 3-5 year cleaning and re-staining cycle.
Heading in to retirement and that might get tedious in 10 or 15
years.

Whoa. STOP. Stain is not the way to low maintenance and there is
absoutely nothing about T1-11 that makes stain preferable to paint on
it. You can't stain hardipanel and you can't stain smart panel, so why
would you want to stain T1-11?