Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Holy Grail

geraldthehamster wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:50 pm, Adrian C wrote:

Bite the bullet Richard, and lift the floor.
Then wedge 60-100mm celotex between the joists, tape over with the
approved tape. seal any edges with expanding foam till its completely
airtight, and re-lay the floor.

One of the issues I have procrastinating about doing a DIY job is
overestimating the effort and potential problems I may encounter.
Sometimes it turns out easier than I first thought, but getting started
is hard.

The OP has the training run-up available to do the undecorated room
first. Press on!!

Now, reading these posts is making me wish that we'd done the same for
the floors as well as the external walls (which we did Celotex) prior to
our recent whole house replastering. But that would be messy now, take
effort, I'd have to clean up, price of fish could rise...

See ;-)

--
Adrian C

I think perhaps when the memory of having just *finished* the rooms in
question has faded (after a couple of years, perhaps), and when I've
done all the other, not inconsiderable jobs (like building an
extension), I must just be able to come to terms with ripping this out
and doing it. I know how to do it, technically, but thanks for all the
advice.

I admit to being slightly disappointed that nobody seems to be better
at thinking outside the box than I am ;-)

When the box has no holes, its not worth thinking outside it if you cant
get to the outside to do the work..;-)

I am perpetually surprised how much LESS works it is to do a strip down
ad rebuild than to tinker..

Watdching American Hot Rod last night..no oil pressure. Manager says
'engine out, strip, sort' and they find that in fact, the oil pickup is
jammed against the sump. Nothing less than a total strip to get to that
anyway.

I had a bit of architrave to make. Curved moulding. I sent three weeks
agonising, and acquiring router table and bits, half an hour jigsawing
and hand sanding curve, and 15 seconds machining the moulding with the
help of SWMBO.

Use to spend all day bashing at break drums on MGBS in the mud. One day,
brainwave. Remove rear axle complete, in vice with blowlamp and angle
grinder, replace all corroded bits in warm, refit axle, bleed brakes. 3
hours.

It probably takes less than a day to rip up a floor, fit Celotex and put
it back down.

Cheers
Richard