Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Here is an example of pseudo science.

ThinAirDesigns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
Nope. A pair of unvented single pot sliding caliper disks and a set of
drums on the back, which is what most average small cars have, is only
capable or about one emergency high speed stop, especially when 4 or 5
up.. and then the brakes are shot. The steel disk and drums are not
capable of dissipating the energy, they must store it as heat increase,
and until they cool, there is bugger all left.

You use a lot of vague and relative terms (getting more vague and
relative as people press you).

Do brakes get hot -- yes. Do brakes fade - yes. Will a production
car loaded to the gills perform a panic stop from top speed and still
be traction limited. YES.

No.

That last point is all that is relevent to Dennis the Dumbass'
comment.

And its false.

Oh, and there may be "bugger left" after that above panic stop, but in
our country that car will still have plenty of brakes to safely
perform more normal duties even right after. Our US NHTSA tests and
requires this. Perhaps your country will allow a car to be brakeless
right after a panic stop (but I doubt it), but ours will not. You
can find many links to NHTSA brake testing.

Now add in load and incline. Does they test specify that?