Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default OT Here is an example of pseudo science.

On 05/10/2010 15:12, dennis@home wrote:

"ThinAirDesigns" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher
Nope. A pair of unvented single pot sliding caliper disks and a set of
drums on the back, which is what most average small cars have, is only
capable or about one emergency high speed stop, especially when 4 or 5
up.. and then the brakes are shot. The steel disk and drums are not
capable of dissipating the energy, they must store it as heat increase,
and until they cool, there is bugger all left.

You use a lot of vague and relative terms (getting more vague and
relative as people press you).

Hypocrite.

Do brakes get hot -- yes. Do brakes fade - yes. Will a production
car loaded to the gills perform a panic stop from top speed and still
be traction limited. YES.

That last point is all that is relevent to Dennis the Dumbass'
comment.

Do the maths and you will see what I said was correct, I know you are
pretty dumb and but even you should be able to do it.

Oh, and there may be "bugger left" after that above panic stop, but in
our country that car will still have plenty of brakes to safely
perform more normal duties even right after.

TNP is not very bright, that's why he believes what you say about how to
sail faster downwind.
I notice that all the people that do believe you are a bit thick.

I notice you ignore the table in the pdf showing braking performance
that happens to agree with constant energy dissipation like I said
happens and not constant force like you said happens.
Constant energy dissipation means that the g force on the car is not
constant and they don't take twice as long to stop from double the speed

Wow, you really believe that?