Posted to uk.d-i-y
ThinAirDesigns ThinAirDesigns is offline

Default OT Here is an example of pseudo science.

The Natural Philosopher
Er. no.

Most production saloons will be starting to fade on just a single
application of the brakes from top speed.

Yes, and that doesn't change a whit of what I said -- ALL (developed
countries) production car brakes are sized such that they are traction
limited during a typical (non repeating) top speed panic stop. They
now install ABS precisely to prevent the driver from sliding the tires
in a panic stop, even on dry surface. Do many of these brakes begin
to fade during such a stop -- yes .. and I never said different, but
it's trivial to take this fade into account during the sizing
process. Brake fade is not a binary 'brakes - no brakes' situation.
Initially, the onset of fade can be overcome simply with more pressure
to produce the same braking force -- but that curve goes to hell very
quickly. Fortunately, a panic stop is over very quickly.

As an experienced autocross and production class track racer,I would
place any size wager that from any speed on any of the above vehicles,
with ABS off one can slide the tires during any phase of said panic
stop. Traction limited. QED

But brakes that will do continuous full power almost indefinitely are
only found on the very best sports cars. Or on the race track.

I never once used or implied "indefinitely" or "almost indefinitely".
I described a panic stop.