Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default OT (kinda) - Hardi Panel Siding w/o sheeting

"RonB" wrote in message
We are planning construction of a garden shed to store garden tractor,
yard tools, and "stuff" (and regain use of my garage shop). We are
considering Smart Siding, Hardi Panel and T-11 (T1-11). Like the
looks of T-11 but have been unable to find pressure treated siding
used on some factory built buildings.

The Hardi panel looks good but their installation instructions require
a moisture barrier. This is a utility building and the siding will
also serve as sheeting. No interior finish. Will the cement fiber
panel hold up to long term use without sheeting and moisture barrier?
I have used a product similar to Smart and the building looks good
after 25 years but there is concern with Hardi.

Any Experience?

RonB

Absolutely will hold up. Like most cement or brick prioducts Hardi products
are porus and do not fit together tightly enough to prevent water from
blowing in through the bottom of the panels or joints. The moisture barrier
is to protect the contents not the siding.

I have used the Hardi "planks" on my home and on my shed. I strongly
suggest you do some cross bracing of the walls and not rely on the Hardi or
any product of similar nature to ad structural strength of your shed. Hardi
prioducts are a strong siding that lasts many years but if the wall wiggles
the fantener holes in the product will wollow out. Use this type siding to
keep the elements out and not to add strength to the structure.