Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default X10 Issues - Motion Sensor Transmission Range, Dimmer Question, GFCI

On Oct 4, 6:50*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
DerbyDad03 typed:

On Sep 18, 5:39 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I installed someX10components today and have someissues.

First, it's interesting that the specs for the MS16A
Wireless Motion Sensor given on theX10site make no mention
of the transmission
range. Wouldn't you think that that is a pretty important
number to know?

==

First, it definietly DOES give you a link to the proper page, which is:http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS16A

That's the same link I posted below.

I must have missed it, so please show me where on http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm
it has a link to http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS16A

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm

However, you can find them here and they state the
transmission range is 100'.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS16A

On that page: The specify the beam range as 20 ft at Normal incidence, less
as you angle off that plane. Even shows best mountng location and height, so
it activates the most reliably.

I wasn't questioning the detection range or the mounting location, I
was questioning the distance that the sensor could be from the RR501
to turn it on and off. On the wiki page noted. It says:

Transmission Range
100ft.

Does that not mean that the sensor can be placed up to 100 feet from
the RR501? (We know that in reality it can't be, but isn't that what
that specification is supposed to indicate? If not, what does the
Transmission Range of 100ft mean?

YOu're missing something someplace; check it again - scroll down to the
image that has those details on them. 100 ft is for IR Tx range.

HTH,

Twayne`

See my question above.

Using the test buttons on the sensor, I can trigger an
RR501 receiver consistently within 40', intermittently
within 40' - 50' and not at all above 50' - and that's
with nothing obstructing the line of site between the two
units.

Put a garage wall between them, and I'm limited to a max
of about 25', less than 15' in some locations.

Infrared is line of sight; move your module to nearer the sensor and then
use the house wiring to get it to your controls, etc.. *See Installation
instructions.

Exactly what I'm doing.

I've tried 2 different MS16A units and 2 different RR501's
and got the same results. Yes, they were brand new
batteries. I even tested them to eliminate the batteries
as the problem.

As would be expected. Mine works perfectly - using 3 total R detectors.

I'd recommend you take these questions to the X10 forum where at least more
than onr or two people are gong to know what you're talking about. You
questions are all answered on the wiki or installation or product sheets.

Next issue: When using the dimmer feature of the WS4777
3-way switch or WS467 single switch, the bulbs do not dim
to nothing. You can still see the light in a 65W outdoor
spot even when the sun is up. I don't know how often I'd
want to dim them to nothing, but I'm just wondering if
that is normal.

No. Properly installed, they will dim to nothing. Somehow you have probably
put them on the dmmer switch control (A4). You probably also have a switch
ni the line that isn't X10; the switch shouldn't be used or should be an X10
switch.

Other have said they do not dim to zero. There are no other switches
that control those lights other than the X10 switches. There are other
switches for other lights on those circuits, since they are not
dedicated circuits, but no other switches for those devices. Are you
saying that you can't have another switched light on the same circuit
that an X10 controlled light is on? I hope not.

Lastly (for now) I seemed to get inconsistant operation of
the system when the RR501 were plugged into GFCI outlets.
They seemed to work about 90% of the time, but every now
and then the test buttons on the sensors wouldn't do
anything even if I was standing right in front of the
RR501. If I move the RR501 to a standard receptacle it
starts working again. I tried two different GFCI's and got
the same result. What's up with that?

Check with the forum; too much to explain.

If this is normal operation, then I'm going to be very
limited as to where I place my sensors since I appear to
be restricted by both distance and receptacle type.

My new toys aren't making me happy!

...Vent mode on...

My simple 1 sensor, 1 receiver, 2 light system is about to
be ripped out.

Rip 'em out if you can't figure out how to use them and where best to get
help with them, which is going to be X10.

One light is on a 3 way switch, the other is on a single
switch. The 2 switches are in the same box, but on
different circuits. The receiver is plugged into a
receptacle on the circuit with the 3 way.

Sorry; doesn't make sense to me.

1 - Spot light over garage door, on the garage circuit, controlled by
a X10 3 way Master switch (WS477) in the living room and an X10 3 way
Companion switch (CS277) in the garage.

2 - Entry light over the entry door, on a living room circuit,
controlled by a X10 single switch (WS467) in the living room.

The WS477 and WS467 are in the same box in the living room, but are on
different circuits.

All three switches are set to respond to a single RR501 that is
plugged into the garage circuit.

A single MS16A speaks to the RR501 in the hope that both the garage
door light and entry door light will come on when someone walks up the
driveway.

I don't know if this enters into the situation at all, but the circuit
for the single switch entry light is part of a multi-wire (Edison)
circuit. It's interesting that this is the light that doesn't always
come up when the RR501 fires. The spot over the garage, which is on
the same circuit as the RR501, comes on 100% of the time when the
MS16A signals the RR501. The entry light, on the multi-wire circuit,
comes on about 75% of the time.

Intermittently, the single switched light does not come on
when the system is triggered by the sensor but the 2-way
light always does. Intermittently, whether one light or
both are on, they (or it) stay on, even after the time
period set on the sensor has past. I'm pretty sure it's not
a "movement" issue because the lights have gone off in
windy conditions, but stay on (sometimes) under the calmest
conditions.

I know that some people have said that they love this X10
stuff and operate a number of fixtures in various
configurations with it, but if it's so quirky that it can't
work consistently with my simple set up, I've got no need
for it.

Your real problem is not reading or not comprehending the installation and
test sequences for these things, I think.

I have read the instructions, I have followed the test sequences. I
have gotten proper operation of the system, probably 75% of the time.
However, above and beyond all that, I have gotten confirmation from
members of this group as well as other sources - including an engineer
at a company developing a home automation hardware/software system -
that X10 is quirky and that many, many things can cause it to act
strangely.

I have a number of socket rockets,
PIR sensors, modules for AV equipment, remote for AV equpment, and will be
adding a couple more. This is because I am disabled and like to be able to
hit "All OFF" without gong around to check that all the lights etc. are off.
Got the shower room and bathroom left to put IR sensors in.

I'm glad you have got a working system

HTH,

Twayne`

...Vent mode off...