Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Stud finder question

"Anthony" wrote in message
I have this small slightly over 2' wall in bathroom of an older house.
I used my finder and got a reaction right almost in the center of that
wall. I then drilled a small hole to confirm it. I did hit something
and pulled the drill out. Now, my question is that i had to drill
almost 2'' before it made contact. Aren't studs suppose to be almost
flush against a drywall, with the exception of the depth of the
drywall?

I use the small round super magnets to find nails or screws, and find that
they give me a better picture of what's behind the tape. Everything is not
put butt square on. Sometimes two sheets are put up, and a horizontal strip
is put up that is from three to twelve inches wide. Horrible to figure out
with a stud finder, but easy with the magnets.

Steve