Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default OT (kinda) - Hardi Panel Siding w/o sheeting

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

If this shed will see the kind of abuse mine does I'd use sheathing...
it will prevent busting the siding if there are errant impacts from
the
inside. From my experience with the siding, I think it would hold
up to
moderate impacts from the outside because the studs would support it
pretty well if on 16" centers.

Maybe I got the super-uber-strength Hardiboard or something, but this
stuff is as strong as your typical 3 or 4 ply low grade 1/4" plywood. I
would put in up against 1/4" ply on a hammer test, any day.

I don't disagree with that... it's the busting at the nails if pushed
from the inside to which I was referring... it doesn't bend well. ;~)

I haven't experienced that, although it makes me curious enough to do
some experimenting, next time I'm out there. I would think its rigidity
would help in that department, however. I do have plenty of heavy items
leaned up against it and the mower gets pushed against it fairly hard
every time I put her away.

The risk goes up if it's wide and blind nailed... I"ve got a lot of
heavy stuff in my shed, like digging bars, buckets of lead, etc. that
would bust the siding off with no problem if it fell against the siding...

Makes for an interesting experiment, but I doubt 1/4" ply would fare any
better.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)