Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default OT (kinda) - Hardi Panel Siding w/o sheeting

On 10/4/10 6:47 PM, allen476 wrote:
On Oct 4, 4:31 pm, wrote:
We are planning construction of a garden shed to store garden tractor,
yard tools, and "stuff" (and regain use of my garage shop). We are
considering Smart Siding, Hardi Panel and T-11 (T1-11). Like the
looks of T-11 but have been unable to find pressure treated siding
used on some factory built buildings.

The Hardi panel looks good but their installation instructions require
a moisture barrier. This is a utility building and the siding will
also serve as sheeting. No interior finish. Will the cement fiber
panel hold up to long term use without sheeting and moisture barrier?
I have used a product similar to Smart and the building looks good
after 25 years but there is concern with Hardi.

Any Experience?

RonB

According to the directions, sheathing is not required for Hardi
Panel. However they do stress using a moisture barrier. So at a
minimum, no sheathing but I would use a moisture barrier. Then if the
product does fail, then you would be able to make claim on the
warranty. If it were me, I would use sheathing just to give it more
rigidity, a moisture barrier, and caulk the seams as well. Though it
is up to you.

Allen

If you're worried about a warranty, I would call the company and make
sure they will honor it on a shed. I'm fairly certain the moisture
barrier has nothing to with protecting the cement board and everything
to do with the intended purpose of a moisture barrier on a residence,
regardless of the siding material used.

Unless you're going to be heating & cooling your lawn tractor and
shovels, there's no need for a moisture barrier. In fact (as I wrote in
another post) I would go so far as to have open eaves on the overhang
(if you have them) or some sort of venting on each end of the roof
peaks, to allow for some air flow to prevent a greenhouse effect.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--