Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone know about locks on UPVC doors?

On 04/10/2010 20:40, AL_n wrote:
I bought this house recently and it has a UPVC front door. The lock is a
bit of a nuisance because you have to turn the key twice, i.e., 360 degrees
x2.

I imagine this gives it an added level of "unpickability" or something,
yes?

My UPVC french windows also have an identical-looking lock, which only
requires one turn of the key.

My question is: Is there a lot of point in turning the front door key 720
degrees, when turning it 360 degrees seems to lock the door just fine?

Will turning the key a mere 360 degrees make it exactly as burglar-proof as
the french windows, which only require a 360-degree turn of the key?

If so, I will save myself a lot of hassle over the coming decades by
turning the front door key only 360 degrees!

PS I'm beginning to miss the old yale locks, as per my previous house! (No
key-turning required except on entry, and then only a few-degrees of turn!)

Many thanks,

Al

Double throw locks are considerably more secure than single throw
because a villain would have to lever the door and frame apart by a much
larger distance to open the door - and this would be difficult if not
impossible.

In your situation, I'd be considering replacing the lock on the french
door with a double throw jobbie!
--
Cheers,
Roger