Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Suspension Experts ??

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:06:22 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

I seem to recall someone (or more than one ...) here is/was
involved in building tube frames for race cars . I'm debating
building a trike rear end to put on an older Honda CB750 , and need
a bit of guidance ... my wife wants to ride but doesn't like to lean
.
Looks like the best-handling option is going to be unequal length
A-frames with CV jointed half shafts and dual inboard disc brakes .
I'm undecided about springing options , whether coil-over shocks ,
maybe a single transverse leaf . Either option will require a
torsion bar to control body roll . Going to have to have an
enclosed spider differential setup , with a sprocket mounted for
chain drive - maybe from an ATV ? Front suspension hubs from a FWD
car look like the cheapest option ... And it all needs to fit into
a 14 x 14 x 27 inch package , plus the width of the A-frames , and
the mounting points extending to the front to bolt it to the M/C
frame . I'm considering using 1" sq tube and 1x2" tube for the frame
members . I'd like to use the original swingarm and shock absorber
mount points , since they're designed to support the loads ... and I
haven'rt even begun to consider body work to cover it all .

There's a manufacturer for trike conversions right in my hometown.
They are a major supplier for the entire country. My son has even
sub-contracted for them. I bet "the kid" could get you a kit for
wholesale if you're interested in that route. He'd want to make a
couple $ for his trouble.

Karl

I'd settle for a set of sketches of the geometry ... the budget on this
one is "do it yourself or you can't afford it" .
We've decided to sell her Kawasaki since she's just not all that hot on
leaning into turns , and my budget is whatever I can get for it . Probably
somewhere in the $700-$900 range - which will buy the materials (I hope !) .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist