Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default necessary to sheetrock ceiling first?

On Oct 3, 9:24*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am working to re-finish my basement. It is presently finished but it
is dated with old paneling and 1x1 ceiling tiles.
I would like to work in stages rather than disrupt the whole basement
so I can work at my own pace and still have the kids, family use the
rest of the basement.
I want to do the walls first,frame around some ductwork, then
sheetrock the ceiling later when I'm ready. I know they say sheetrock
the ceiling first, but is there any problem if I do it after I
sheetrock the walls?

Usually it's tougher to get to the walls than the ceiling. What's
blocking access to the ceiling?

You can, of course, do the drywall in either order, but you are less
likely to get cracks at the wall/ceiling junction if the ceiling
boards are supported by the wall boards. Doing the walls first pretty
much guarantees bigger gaps and doesn't allow much leeway for out of
square conditions.

I'm not sure how big of an area, or how complicated the layout, you
are talking about, but it only takes a few hours to drywall a
ceiling. Taping can be done at a later time when the walls are done.