Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default necessary to sheetrock ceiling first?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am working to re-finish my basement. It is presently finished but it
is dated with old paneling and 1x1 ceiling tiles.
I would like to work in stages rather than disrupt the whole basement
so I can work at my own pace and still have the kids, family use the
rest of the basement.
I want to do the walls first,frame around some ductwork, then
sheetrock the ceiling later when I'm ready. I know they say sheetrock
the ceiling first, but is there any problem if I do it after I
sheetrock the walls?

The only valid compelling reasons to do the ceiling first a
that minor gaps at the wall area are hidden and filled when the walls are
installed
that makes finishing just a bit easier.
You don't damage your walls as you struggle with the ceiling boards.
Just make darn sure you have any needed scabs in place before you build any
walls. You something to screw the ceiling boards to.

I have three walls finished in my basement and no ceilings hung yet. If I
ever decide finish the job there won't be any problems.

--
Colbyt