Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Lathe tool position

Wes wrote:
"DoN. wrote:

Do you do the same trick with the boring tool against the od?

Against the back side of the OD -- assuming that you have enough
travel in the cross slide. Against the back side of something of
smaller diameter before you put the main workpiece in place otherwise.
(One of the benefits of a good quick-change toolpost -- you can set the
heights of all the tools before you start making chips.

Back side? You using a screw on chuck? I like my boring tools set up so I cut feeding
out from me just like for turning. I don't like subtracting if I can avoid it.

Wes

Get one of those 6 inch digital calipers from HF when they put them on
sale for 9.95. They are accurate to less than .002 an check right on the
money with a set of gauge blocks. Set it to your finished size and zero
it. The resulting measured reading will be the cutting distance to go
and eliminate the calculations.

Another trick is to make a hight gauge for the centerline of the lathe.
That would consist of a block of metal and a bent rod sharpened to a
dull point that is the height of the center line. IF you are using
quick change tool posts, set all your toolposts to centerline hight and
if you put in a smaller tool holder use shims to get the proper height
and don't adjust the quickchange unit. ie. if you are using a 3/4 inch
tool and change to a half inch, put in a 1/4 inch shim under the tool
and the height will still be right on.

John