Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Suspension Experts ??

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:06:22 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

I seem to recall someone (or more than one ...) here is/was involved in
building tube frames for race cars . I'm debating building a trike rear end
to put on an older Honda CB750 , and need a bit of guidance ... my wife
wants to ride but doesn't like to lean .
Looks like the best-handling option is going to be unequal length A-frames
with CV jointed half shafts and dual inboard disc brakes . I'm undecided
about springing options , whether coil-over shocks , maybe a single
transverse leaf . Either option will require a torsion bar to control body
roll . Going to have to have an enclosed spider differential setup , with a
sprocket mounted for chain drive - maybe from an ATV ? Front suspension hubs
from a FWD car look like the cheapest option ...
And it all needs to fit into a 14 x 14 x 27 inch package , plus the width
of the A-frames , and the mounting points extending to the front to bolt it
to the M/C frame . I'm considering using 1" sq tube and 1x2" tube for the
frame members . I'd like to use the original swingarm and shock absorber
mount points , since they're designed to support the loads ... and I
haven'rt even begun to consider body work to cover it all .

There's a manufacturer for trike conversions right in my hometown.
They are a major supplier for the entire country. My son has even
sub-contracted for them. I bet "the kid" could get you a kit for
wholesale if you're interested in that route. He'd want to make a
couple $ for his trouble.

Karl