Conan the Librarian

Default Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

Andy Dingley wrote in message . ..

No, it's not a Stanley at all. Mine is a Preston, I think there's a
Record too.

The two blades are on top of each other, in an X shape. They don't
interfere with each other when working, but they do share the same
clamp.

I don't recall seeing anyone making those on this side of the pond.
It seems that the #79 or the matching set #98 and #99 are the
side-rabbets made here.

The #79 isn't too hard to adjust for both blades simultaneously, you
just have to sharpen the blades so they're exact mirrors of each
other.

Oh sure ... that's a breeze. ;-) My problem with the #79 (at
least the recent model one I won) is that the way the thing came, once
it's set to take an even shaving, the tip of the iron extends so that
it will score the work past the bottom of the groove/rabbet/whatever
you are widening. To fix it, you have to round off the tip of the
iron. (Good luck getting that exactly the same on both irons. :-)

Also, on mine, the casting was horribly uneven where the blades
bed.

My #79 basically sits in my tool cabinet, waiting for those times
when I get so desperate that I actually resort to trying to use the
d*mn*d thing. :-}

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) Now that's what I call a "specialty" plane.