Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

On 10/2/2010 10:11 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:49:57 -0400, wrote:
On 10/2/2010 7:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"A. wrote in message
news On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

wanna buy a 56K modem for it? I still have a 56K *real* (not winmodem) ISA
modem. Looks like I should have put it up for sale while it was still worth
anything.

Chuckle. That is why I never bothered to sell it. Kaypro suitcase
machine, which was actually born as an 8086, but I upgraded to a V20,
maxed out the ram when I found a card at a hamfest, replaced one of the
360 5.25" floppies with a then state-of-the art 720 3.5", and even found
a way to shoe-horn an MFM 10mb hard drive in there. Pretty hot stuff in
1986. By 1990, not worth a damn thing on the open market, and it had
enough sentimental value to me, that as long as I have a spare corner,
I'll keep it. If my 4 YO niece gets into computers when she grows up,
maybe I'll stick her with it, to eventually show to HER kids. All my
later computers of the 286/386/486/early pentium era are long gone, but
you always have a soft spot for the first one you played with the guts of.

No room inside for a modem, by the way. I used a 1200 external with it,
and my first cable was rat shack ribbon cable, paper clips, and masking
tape. Kaypro did NOT use a standard cable for their serial port, and it
took me months to find where to order one. But the damn thing did come
with full docs, just like the test equipment that was obviously the
source of the parts they used. Very 'old school' inside. Even has an
external fuse socket on the back, just like an old stereo amp.

--
aem sends...