Simon Avery

Default Which Garage Door Lubricant?

(Andy) wrote:

Hello Andy

A| Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over
A| garage door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?)
A| wheels and a bloody great spring across the top. The door
A| opens very unevenly and there seems to be a lot of black
A| streaky stuff on the runners. Can I just use the normal
A| 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

Neither of those will work for more than 10 seconds, if that.

You want a heavy grease, lithium based lasts well. Buy a pot, or a
grease gun cartridge (even without the gun), it's useful stuff to have
around.

And don't be tempted to undo any of the bolts holding the springs
on...

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: