Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Ideas for making a single top for a long series of Ikea bookcases

On 10/2/10 6:46 AM, wrote:
On Oct 2, 7:14 am, wrote:
wrote in message
"temporary" desktop... six or seven years ago... that I've been
thinking of dressing up with a hardwood edge. One cheap trip to HD and
I could be using biscuits to attach it. Thanks.

For a number of years, I've used an invisable nailing kit for attaching trim
and face frames.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182

And I thought that was a plane for elves. Go figure.

Alternatively, I've just hammered in a finishing nail, countersunk it and
then filled the hole with a wax filler stick fractionally darker than the
wood itself. It results in a hard to recognize attachment point and is about
as easy to use as it gets.

Sure. That method I've used already. Plus the "just glue and a
crapload of clamps and hope what the high school shop teacher said
about glue was true" method. But this "biscuits without paying for the
special tool" idea appeals to me.

I don't know if this pertains to your current thought process or not,
but as has been discussed in here on several occasions, biscuits are
intended for alignment and don't add any discernible strength to most
joints.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)