Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FOLLOW UP engine repair

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:11:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:53:48 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Oct 1, 5:38Â*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

(Correcting the incorrect attribution)

Oren wrote:

What I found: The bolt for the float bowl has passages. My summation
was the bolt siphoned fuel from each side and up Â*(from the bowl
bottom) Â*through the center of the bolt. Â*The center vertical passage
was clogged with some goo. Using a SS wire, plucked from a wire brush
I cleared the center (vertical) passage. Put the bowl and bolt back
on.

One choke and two pulls, she fired up.

Hank wrote:
Spraying a carb with cleaner ( even as you did) is mostly useless. A
carb has to be COMPLETELY dis-assembled and all passages must be free
of debris.

I used a "starting fluid" , and not a "cleaning fluid". One or two
shots of "starting fluid" and she fired a bit. Then I cleared the bowl
bolt jet with a SS wire. Â*No need for a complete disassemble.

You got lucky. Also, where did the sludge come from? Is there more
somewhere else in the fuel system?

Hank

Sitting for ten or eleven months through last winter and all summer.
I'm certain there may be more "sludge", but nothing stopping the
engine from running. It runs fine. Maybe one year in the future I'll
tear it down and soak all the carb parts in a "cleaner", just for
giggles.

Not so much luck , as experience and trouble shooting.

Gentlemen -- start you snow blowers! It is that time of year.

Just put some "sea foam" in the gas and all the gunge will be gonzo.