Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Segmented Birch Bowl

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 2:03:31 -0500, Kevin Miller wrote
(in message ):

There's a lot of resources on the web for segmented turning. I find the
most important thing is a cutoff sled set at the appropriate angle. In
my case I'm doing 12 segment rings, so 15 degrees is the setting.
Accuracy and repeatability is the key. You may have to mess with it a
bit to get it dialed in, but once you have good tight joints you're golden.

It's a great way to use up scraps. A lot of segmented turning is really
fancy, but really, even a bowl with a single type of wood can be very
nice. As the bowl is turned, each segment reflects light differently so
you get a lot of chatoyance. The most important thing is a pleasing
form. A good shape with plain wood beats fancy wood with a lousy shape
any day.

Automotive band (hose) clamps work great for gluing the segmentes into
rings.

Be fun to see how your project turns out - hope you post it...

...Kevin

well, I'm starting out pretty simple, I think. Some chunks glued up into a
solid block, and then cut away anything that isn't supposed to be there. Am
not sure what it will be, yet. It will tell me. I know that a fussy kind of
repeatable accuracy is the key, and that is what I really have to practice.
I've generally boasted that I can make one of anything. Now, to make two or
more of them identical - that is a skill I have to seriously work on. If it
escapes the fireplace, I'll post on Flicker.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.