Posted to uk.d-i-y
matthelliwell matthelliwell is offline

Default Wet and Dry Vac to clean gutters

Has anyone ever used a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to clean out their
gutters?

I've got a two story houses and the gutters on two sides of the house
forever get blocked with pine needles and oak leaves due to the
surrounding trees (not to mention moss from the roof). Unfortunately
getting a ladder up to clean them out is a pain due to the surrounding
shed, water feature, fencing etc. Also in the Autumn they really need
doing every couple of weeks. So I'm after an easier way to clean them
out which doesn't involve ladders.

There are to be plenty of commercial systems which use a vacuum
cleaner to suck out the rubbish. They would seem to be ideal if they
weren't £600 upwards (eg http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatal...Cleaning.html).
So far as I can tell they are just a vacuum cleaner, a long hose, an
appropriately shaped head and a long pole. Is there any reason why a
normal domestic wet and dry vac wouldn't work? I might have to empty
it out halfway through due to the smaller volume but I can live with
that. I'd just need to find an appropriate hose and head.

Thanks

Matt