Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Metal, keep it or scrap it

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:49:44 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Sep 30, 5:09*pm, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Have about 12 pieces of galvanized sheet metal duct (rectangular).
Most of it is 36 inch long sections about 24 inches across and 12
inches high. *If I undid the seam and unfolded the metal I would end
up with 30" x 60" ± pieces. *Do I keep them for unforeseen projects or
do I spend the gasoline to take them to the scrap yard.
I do own an English wheel and a 3-in-1 metal machine. *Don't need a
bunch of little boxes but making them would elevate my skills. *Also
plan on someday putting 'fins' on my 1995 el-cheepo Toyota Tercel.
One day I would like to build a side car for my vintage motorcycle.

Wife says toss it. *I'm ambivalent. *I do have the storage space, but,
at the same time, when it comes to making the side car I don't mind
spending a few dollars on the correct material instead of used
galvanized.

Please advise. *What would you do?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Home Depot charges around $19 for a 24" x 36" 26 ga piece of sheet
metal. At one time I had a good stock of sheet metal, but I had to
scrap most of it when I moved out of state.

I guess it really depends upon how good your sources for materials are
and how often you need stuff like this. I like making things, but it
pains me to pay HD prices when I know I can get things nearly for free.

Couple years back I bought four full sheets of duct metal for $1, took
the fifty feet of 1/2" poly rope that held it rolled after tying it
with twine and send the roll to Juniors FiL who made good use of it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada